North London (Relocating to Stevenage in 2016), Competitive Salary
MRC Technology’s Centre for Therapeutics Discovery (CTD) operates at the interface between academic research and the Drug Discovery industry. As one of the largest and most successful academic drug discovery centres in Europe, we take novel academic targets and generate lead stage small molecules and therapeutic antibodies for indications with unmet medical need. We have a proven track record in partnering our assets with pharma and biotech companies; 4 of our projects have led to approved drugs and we have a strong pipeline in development. We have a number of drug discovery alliances with pharma (AstraZeneca, Daiiachi Sankyo) and are a key player in the Dementia Consortium alongside Eisai, Lilly and Alzheimer’s Research UK. The next exciting phase of our development includes relocating our laboratory from Mill Hill, North London to “state of the art” facilities on the Stevenage BioCatalyst site within the next 12 months.
The Chemistry Department take novel disease targets from research in academia and attempt to find potential drug candidate series by applying a number of approaches including screening, in silico design and structure based drug design. We have teams focusing on Medicinal and Synthetic Chemistry, as well as in vitro ADME capabilities.
With a BSc or equivalent in chemistry together with industrial experience gained in a pharmaceutical or biotech organization, the successful candidate will have a proven record in synthetic organic chemistry, demonstrated through theoretical knowledge and practical ability. The capability to design and execute synthetic routes and the confidence to work independently and efficiently are key requirements for the role. An understanding of the basic principles of medicinal chemistry would be an advantage
– BSc or equivalent in chemistry or related joint honours degree
– Focus on synthetic organic or medicinal chemistry in final year project work
– Experience in practical synthetic organic chemistry
– Capability to design and execute synthetic chemistry routes
– Experience in working in teams to deliver on extended projects
– Keen to learn and develop, enjoy variety of challenges
– Industrial experience in synthetic or medicinal chemistry: Year in industry as undergraduate or 1-2 years postgraduate experience
– Knowledge of medicinal chemistry concepts and challenges
– Demonstrated ability to work independently on own synthetic challenges under wider direction
MRC Technology (www.mrctechnology.org) is an independent life science medical research charity committed to improving the odds of positive patient outcomes everywhere.
As a champion for human health, MRC Technology partners with academic, biotechnology, pharmaceutical, and charity organisations to move promising medical research forward into viable and accessible patient treatments.
Our people combine commercialisation and IP management skills with diagnostic and drug discovery expertise, specialising in small molecule and therapeutic antibodies.
MRC Technology projects have led to the approved drugs Tysabri®, Actemera®, Entyvio® and Keytruda®, changing the lives of countless patients by harnessing the potential of science.
Closing date: 6 September 2015